Highlighting Ontario’s talent in architectural innovation and expertise, the Ontario Association of Architects (OAA) has selected 10 Canadian projects as recipients of this year’s Design Excellence award.
Selected from almost 200 submissions, the 10 Design Excellence winners exemplify outstanding practise in creativity, context, sustainability, good design, good business and legacy. This year’s winning projects span across the country and range from iconic cultural centres to community hubs and breathtaking private residences. Additional categories, including Concepts, Landmark Designation, Best Emerging Practice, G. Randy Roberts Service Award, Honour Roll, Lifetime Design Achievement Award and Order of da Vinci, celebrate leaders of Ontario’s architectural industry in originality, inspiration and direction.
2016 OAA Awards – List of Winners
- Toronto, ON Moriyama & Teshima Architects in association with Maki and Associates
- Edmonton, AB MacLennan Jaunkalns Miller Architects Ltd. and HIP Architects in joint venture
- Georgian Bay Township, ON Ian MacDonald Architect Inc.
- Toronto, ON Superkül Inc.
- Thunder Bay, ON Brook McIlroy Inc.
- London, ON Hariri Pontarini Architects
- Vancouver, BC KPMB Architects & HCMA Architecture + Design in joint venture
- Toronto, ON Dubbeldam Architecture + Design
- S Montréal, QC Saucier + Perrotte Architectes / Hughes Condon Marler Architects (now HCMA Architecture + Design)
- Toronto, ON LGA Architectural Partners Ltd. and Phillip H. Carter, Architect in joint venture
Concepts Planespotting: Dominique Cheng, OAA
Shoreline Commemorative: Paul Raff Studio Incorporated Architect
299 Queen Street West Toronto, ON Burke, Horwood and White (original building) Quadrangle Architects Limited (renovation)
St. Mary’s Ukrainian Catholic Church Sudbury, ON John Stefura and Carl Skerl, Townend Stefura Baleshta and Pfister Architects
Best Emerging Practice: Denegri Bessai Studio
G. Randy Roberts Service Award
Recognizing members of the OAA for extraordinary service to the members: John C. Cook
Honour Roll: Douglas Cumming Johnson Brian Curtner
Lifetime Design Achievement Award
Honouring members for career-long contribution to Architectural Design Excellence: George P. Baird
Order of da Vinci
Presented to persons who have made a significant and meaningful contribution to the profession of architecture: William N. Greer
People’s Choice Award
Voting is now open to the public for this year’s OAA People’s Choice Award.
To vote, visit between April 5 and 22.
2016 Celebration of Excellence
Winners across all categories will be recognized and honoured at the Allstream Centre in Toronto on May 13 to conclude the 2016 OAA Annual Conference. At this time, the winner of the Lieutenant Governor’s Award, Michael V. & Wanda Plachta Award and the People’s Choice Award will be revealed.